The Ukuqonda Team
Our team is led by Dr. Piet Human, formerly professor of Mathematics Education and founder and director of the Research Unit for Mathematics Education at the University of Stellenbosch (RUMEUS).
- Paul van Koersveld, Nic Pieterse, Peter Gudo and Temba Mavuso (Physical Science)
- Manare Setati, Nontobeko Mabude and Tim Mabuza (Foundation, Intermediate and Senior Phase mathematics)
- Gabriel Mphuthi, Andrew Hofmeyr, Enoch Masemola and Nathi Makae (FET and early tertiary mathematics)
- Eric Maleka (FET and Senior Phase mathematics)
- Leyton Ndebele, Louis van Aswegen, Morne Labuschagne (Technology)
- Carina Coetzer, Hettie Mostert (English language proficiency)
- Natasha Kau (Information Technology)
- Lesego Phaloane, Cindy Stacey (Administration)
We also regularly draw on the expertise and services of consultant educators, Marlene Rousseau (English), prof Diane Grayson (Physics), Dr Faan Jordaan (Chemistry), Dr Erica Steenberg (chemistry and metallurgy), Chris Human (mathematical modeling, process engineering, data analysis), Alwyn Olivier (mathematical problem solving), Marthinus de Jager and Aarnout Brombacher (FET mathematics).
The management structure is “flat”, and any of the second-tier managers can provide executive first-tier management. The organisational independence of the different operations provides for continuity in the event of possible discontinuities in first-tier management (such as is experienced at present with the CEO working full-time in the DoE FFL programme until the end of December).
- Chief executive officer: Piet Human
- Manager of the University Preparedness Programme Rustenburg: Gabriel Mphuthi
- Manager of the Post Matric Steelpoort: Enoch Masemola
- Manager of Reach program: Tim Mabuza (previously provincial manager of MIET operations in Northwest province, and manager of the Centre for Productive Education)
- Manager of FET school support operations: Nathi Makae (previously school principal)
- General manager: Andrew Hofmeyr
- Manager of special operations: Manare Setati
The Ukuqonda Institute is governed by a Board of Trustees, appointed in terms of the relevant legislation pertaining to Section 21 companies, and the Articles of Association by which the Ukuqonda Institute was founded.
- Prof. Diane Grayson, University of Pretoria
- Ms. Erna Lampen, University of Witwatersrand
- Dr. Satsope Maoto, University of Limpopo
- Dr. Ndumiso Cingo, CSIR
- Mr. Themba Zwane, Atio